In a recent podcast, the host started with a sentence designed to startle … “We are addicted to contempt.” That is a hard sentiment to argue with.
Every time I hear that type of statement, it reinforces the critical nature of what we as churches, synagogues, and mosques are called to offer, and that is a way out of addictive contempt.
So how do we continue to find the best in each other? How do we move past addictive contempt?
Many of us grew up seeing faith as a rather dour affair. Personally, it was not until I reached my 40’s that I came to see the outrageously optimistic claims of faith.
1. The Bible itself starts with Original Blessing, not original sin
2. The Bible ends with a return to the imagery of Original Blessing
3. We are created in the image of likeness of God
4. We have an inmost tied to heaven
5. Part of us is unsalvageable (“the old will) and part of us is eternally redeemable (“the new will”). We do the life-giving work of repentance around the former to open ourselves to God’s influx into the latter.
6. God’s Divine Providence – His goal to which all creation points – is a heaven from the human race.
Addictive contempt begins to die when we realize that the above – true for us – is likewise true for them.
And those, my friends if we choose, will win the day!
Cynicism, in the end, is rather boring.
A quick note to all of our Livestream “Followers”
Livestream was recently purchased by Vimeo and we are now streaming all of our services via Vimeo. There is no way to transfer “followers” from one account to another or even send an email. So we are trying to get the word out to you all now. Click here to go to our Vimeo page. There you can choose to be a follower on our Vimeo account.
This will not change anything for anyone else. If you typically find our link for Sunday on our website or via Facebook it will all be the same for you on Sunday. If you have any trouble please don’t hesitate to reach out. It is our hope that this will streamline things and make everything easier in the long run! And, if you haven’t followed us in the past, please consider it. It simply notifies you anytime we go live so you don’t miss anything. There is no pressure to watch, just a simple notification.
Thanksgiving Food Collection #newchurchlivegives
There are 3 ways to get involved this Thanksgiving:
1. Donate any nonperishable at church on Sunday or to the office during the week. (Office address: 2790 Huntingdon Pike, Bryn Athyn)
2. Shop via our Amazon wish list and have items delivered directly to our office.
3. Donate to an organization local to you, take a picture and tag us #newchurchlivegives. We will share the images at church and on social media.
Do you live local to the Philadelphia area? Are you interested in volunteering at St. Francis Inn? St. Francis Inn is a homeless shelter serving dinner to the homeless in Kensington. They serve dinner “restaurant style” to the addicted and homeless population. There are groups going down at least twice per month. For an up to date list of service opportunities follow along on the Facebook group “New Church Live Friends of Saint Francis Inn”
News and Events
Book Discussion with Pastor Chuck – The Art of Gathering
Join us for an inspiring conversation on “The Art of Gathering.” Whether you have read the book or not, this is a critical conversation for our time as we seek ways to gather and connect in an era that feels so new.
Book: The Art of Gathering by Priya Parker
Cost: Free! We will send you a FREE book when you sign up
Meeting: Wednesday, November 10th @ 8:00 PM via Zoom
Join us for “Family Bible Stories with Pastor Chuck.” Each week we do a short, kid-centered service designed to help your children understand God’s love for them and their call to love others.
Also, remember, you do NOT have to tune in live to watch these services. If you miss it or want to watch later in the day/week that is totally fine. Once broadcast the service will remain on all of the above platforms permanently. We hope you will enjoy these whenever is convenient to you!
Pictures from Pastor Chuck last week
Want to make donating even easier? We’ve created a QR code just for you!
Did you know that when you shop with Amazon they donate a percentage back to NewChurch LIVE? Simply use this link at in your browser: smile.amazon.com/ch/45-4966388.
Amazon Smile is now available on the Amazon App!!
Here is the info for to support NCL in the App:
Want to help make a difference while you shop in the Amazon app, at no extra cost to you? Simply follow the instructions below to select “New Church Live” as your charity and activate AmazonSmile in the app. They’ll donate a portion of your eligible mobile app purchases to us.
How it works:
1. Open the Amazon app on your phone
2. Select the main menu (=) & tap on “AmazonSmile” within Programs & Features
3. Select “New Church Live” as your charity
4. Follow the on-screen instructions to activate AmazonSmile in the mobile app
By using the links above a percentage of your purchases will automatically be donated back to NewChurch LIVE (at no cost to you!) Easy for you! It’s a WIN-WIN!